Monday, March 16, 2009

Safely in the Ukraine

We received an email on Saturday that the missions team had arrived safely.  I think it was probably our considerate youth pastor that had my son and the other boy that was not feeling well also email before the others did.  They are able to use the missionary's computer, but they do not have a whole lot of time.  I have not felt apprehensive about the trip until Peirce got sick, and then I have to admit, I was a little more fearful until God showed us that He was taking care of Peirce by taking his temp away.  It is now 5:30 in the evening there, so I am hoping that they will have an opportunity to send an email to someone letting us know how the day went.  They have felt satan's fight, and I am thankful that they recognize it for what it is.  

One of the missionary's to the Ukraine explained some of the mentality of the people toward God.  Ukraine has a very corrupt government.  For those of you who do not know, Ukraine used to be part of the USSR.  The KGB is still very much alive in the area under a different name.  The people have seen this government all of their lives.  They have to bribe their way to get grades in school, important papers signed, etc....  They have a rough time understanding how God can be a righteous authority.  They so rarely see one.  Sometimes people around us struggle with God as their Father when their father was not good, but at the same time, they could see fathers around them who were kind and loving.  Many people in the Ukraine have never had an example of an authority who is righteous and just.

This information helped me understand a little more how to pray for the team as they are there.  Since Peirce is turning 15 this week, I have been praying for a heart for those around him.  It is so hard at that age and any age to grasp selflessness.  I pray that Peirce can see these people through God's eyes.

No comments: